Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Torii Tunic

Here is one of my newest creations! It is the Torii Tunic from Kay Whitt of Serendipity Studio. I have made many of her patterns and she is still one of my very favorite designers. This particular pattern is one of her older ones that I received for my birthday right after I was getting interested in sewing clothing. That was about four or five years ago and I just now made it for the first time! I actually planned on using the fabric for a different dress, but there was just enough to make the Torri Tunic, so it was all meant to be! 

The dress can be made in a top, knee length or dress length. It also has dolman sleeves, so the construction was super fast! I made the 3/4 length sleeves, but they also come as full length. It has an empire waist and A-line skirt which makes for a very flattering fit. You can make many different variations based on how many fabrics you use. I used three different contrasting fabrics. It is a little bright and "loud" but I like how it turned out! 

There is an invisible zipper and I was able to put it in without a problem. Invisible zippers used to scare me, but now they are one of my favorite things to do! It gives such a nice clean finish to the back of garments. 

The only changes I made when making this dress were the same changes I make when sewing any of Kay's patterns. My measurements always put me in-between sizes, so when I traced the bodice I had to grade up a size for the waist and hips. It wasn't a big deal and it was super easy to do! I didn't even make a muslin and I am really happy with the fit. 

This will be a perfect dress for the summer and I am excited to wear it! I think it would be fun to make some tops with this pattern too.

What have you been sewing lately?



  1. Super cute! Love it! It turned out beautifully and the fabric pattern is so fun! I just obtained my Mom's sewing machine and I'm going to try my hand at sewing :) Should be interesting!

  2. Very flattering. I especially love the colors on you.

  3. The print-mixing is genius. Love it.

  4. Very pretty and fun! I'm sure you will get lots of summer wear out of it :)
    It has a bit of an oriental flare to it - love that! Some tops would be great in the same pattern

  5. This is such an eye-catching dress - I love it! The cut of the dress is a little different, in a good way, and the fabrics you picked go really well together. Hope you've been getting lots of compliments on this one. :)