Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Skirt Refashion

I have three pencil skirts that I never wear. They are ankle length and hard to walk in. I decided I wasn't going to get rid of them - I was going to give them a new life and make them wearable!

I plan on refashioning all three skirts, but so far I only finished one. It took me about 15 - 20 minutes. I did not get a before picture of the refashioned skirt but here are pictures of the other two that are exactly the same except for the color:



These skirts are ankle length and have a 10 inch slit. I laid the skirt on my cutting mat and cut off the skirt starting at the top of the slit. Now it was above my knee. I wanted to add about 7 inches back, so I cut a black piece of fabric 16 inches by 60 inches, sewed it into a tube, doubled it, and made a ruffle. I attached the ruffle to the skirt and topstitched. Finally, I pressed some intentional creases into the ruffle to help it hang better. I love the result!



Close up of the ruffle

The skirt is so much easier to walk in now and I know I will be wearing it a lot more.


~Elizabeth

1 comment: