Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Chai Dress // Itch to Stitch Designs


I am back to blogging with my new favorite dress! This is the Chai Shirt and Dress pattern from Itch to Stitch Designs. I made a wearable muslin of the shirt version at the beginning of the summer, but I've been wanting to make the shirt version ever since I first found the pattern last year!



This dress has been in my mind for three years. I was fortunate enough to win a gift certificate to the Cloth Pocket three years ago and used it to buy this beautiful chambray fabric. I knew I wanted to make a shirt dress with it, but it took me until last year to find the perfect pattern. I've been wanting to make the Chai pattern all summer but kept putting it off with other projects and procrastination. 

I finally cut out my pattern pieces at the beginning of this month and sewed it a few days ago! The cutting part took me the longest (as it always does) and it only took me three days to sew it. So, after three years, I finally have my chambray shirt dress! 


I made a few changes to this pattern before cutting it out. My measurements put me in a size 4 for bust, a size 6 for waist, and a size 8 for hips. Based on the finished measurements, I decided I needed to grade out for the hips, but I decided to use the size 4 for my waist. It is a perfect fit and I am happy with my changes! 
I also lengthened the skirt by 6 inches because I am taller than the pattern is drafted for and I like my skirts to hit below the knee. 

The dress is definitely more fitted than other shirt dresses I have made, but I love the style. I think it would look great with a circle skirt too!



The Chai has gathers at the bust instead of darts and I love the detail it adds! The dress also has huge inseam pockets, which I love! I rarely make a skirt or dress without pockets anymore!


I can see this dress being perfect almost year round. It will be perfect for spring and summer as is and I can layer it as we head into fall. It was a chilly morning when I took these pictures, but with tights and boots I was comfortable! If it was colder, I would add a cardigan as well. 



The only changes I made during construction were to interface both the upper collar and the under collar. The pattern only calls to interface the under collar and the collar stands, but I wanted to interface the upper collar too. I think it makes it more crisp and helps it stand up more. 


The buttonholes are never my favorite part to sew, but my machine was cooperating with me and I didn't have to seam rip any of my buttonholes! They are not perfect, but I am happy with how they turned out. 


~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment