Monday, September 7, 2015

Upcycled Skirts

Hello! Today I have an upcycled project to share with you! Back in May 2014, I found these two dresses at a garage sale for $10 total. I thought it was a great price and I had an idea of turning them into skirts for myself. It was funny because the person I bought these dresses from told me "I know these dresses are just your style!"

Not quite, but I knew I could make them my style. Fast forward to August 2015 when I was trying to organize my fabric stash and I came across these dresses that I've had for over a year. I decided it was finally time to do something with them!

The before pictures, taken after I bought the dresses in May 2014. 

My original plan was to turn these dresses into skirts for myself. However, I decided to make them into skirts for Miss K. She's going into 7th grade this year and needed some new skirts anyway. 


Both skirts were super simple to make! For the black one, I just cut straight across under the arms, took in the side seams a bit, added some wide pink elastic and voila - it's a skirt!


My stitching is more than a little crooked on the waistband, but I was trying not to use pins. :D


There is a fun bow on the side. 


The navy and white dress had pockets, and I was able to keep those. This dress had a drawstring, but I decided I wanted to use the pink elastic again, so I just cut across directly under the drawstring casing. Then I added elastic and it was a skirt! This dress was narrower, so I did not take in the side seams. 


My stitching is also much straighter on this elastic waistband. 

These skirts are perfect for summer and will be great for layering with leggings in the cooler fall and winter seasons. 

What's on your sewing table lately?

~Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. So Cute! You have such a talent for recycling outfits! You make me want to give it a try! :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your upcyclings :) Your little sister is getting so big! I'm sure she loves both skirts

    ReplyDelete