Monday, March 24, 2014

Day Tripper Tops


I was so excited when I found out that Pattern Anthology was coming out with a collection of four knit top patterns for women! All of the designs are so cute and tops are lacking in my handmade wardrobe, so these patterns are perfect! My mom and I both decided to make the Day Tripper top, by Shwin Designs first.

This top is so great!! I love that you can make short or long sleeves (perfect for many different seasons) and the sleeves are dolman style - so they're already built into the pattern piece. There's also an option for shoulder tabs and pockets!! We all love pockets, right? I know I can always use them.

Here is my mom's top! She made the short sleeve version in cotton jersy from Girl Charlee. For the neckband, sleeve bands and hem band she used grey ribbing (as the pattern suggests).

 
It was so cold out the day we took these pictures!


 
I think my mom did an awesome job matching all the stripes especially since they are narrow! She has another Day Tripper top cut out for pink and grey striped cotton jersey. She is going to make that version long sleeve with pockets. I'm excited to see the finished top!
 
For my top, I made the long sleeve version with a sweater knit from Girl Charlee. This is my first time working with sweater knit, and I love it!! It is so soft and comfortable!!

 
I love the shoulder tab...it adds a fun detail to the top. The buttons aren't a perfect match, but I liked the green color. I added two buttons rather than one, but it's really up to you!
 
 

This top also has sleeve and hem bands, which I love because it means no hemming!! For my top I did not use ribbing. I just used the sweater knit which works just as well. What ever you choose to use, just make sure it has enough stretch.

 
The pockets are wonderful!!!

The Day Tripper top comes with three different options for length and a high-low hemline. However, I did not realize the high-low hemline was already built in to the pattern pieces (oops!). I thought it was optional and I wanted the high-low hemline for my top, so I cut the front piece at the 24" length and the back piece at the 26" length. The pattern directions are very clear and now that I read them again I can see that I definietly made a mistake! Now you will know not to make the same mistake. :) The top still works as I made it, it's just extra long in the back.
 
 
 
I love this top and will definitely be making more. I wore it for 3 days in a row last week...it's so comfortable!
 
~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment