Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Chai Shirt // Itch to Stitch Designs


This must be the year for woven, button up shirts! This one is a new-to-me pattern though and perfect for summer. The Chai Shirt and Dress pattern released last August, and I wanted to make it in the dress version as soon as I saw it. I ordered the pattern right away and since I had the perfect chambray fabric for the dress, I decided to make a muslin (something I never do because I'm a lazy sewist). I used this cheap woven gingham and cut out my muslin, but it sat in my sewing room nearly forgotten for almost a year!

I decided this past weekend that I was going to sew up the muslin, so that I can make my dress to wear this summer. However, instead of sewing up just a quick muslin to check the fit, I made the entire pattern. I'm glad I did because it is a great fit and completely wearable! I also will be more familiar with the pattern the next time I make it and hopefully that means less mistakes! 


The Chai Shirt and Dress is such a classic style and exactly what I was looking for in a shirt dress! The pattern includes cup sizes, which was something new for me. It has the options for dress or shirt length, a classic collar with collar stand, options for sleeveless or short sleeves, a button placket, and an a-line skirt. 

The fabric is originally from fabric.com from quite a few years ago. It is not the highest quality of fabric, but it worked for checking the fit! I actually really like the colors and I happened to have red buttons in my stash, and I think it makes for a great Fourth of July themed outfit. 


This might be one of the best fitting woven shirts I have made. The back fits really well! 


I didn't make any changes to this version, and since I like how it fits I plan on not changing anything for my dress version. I will probably add length to the skirt, but that is something I always have to do with dress patterns. 


My button placement could use some work, but buttonholes are not my favorite thing to do, so I am happy with how they turned out. I didn't have to seam rip any buttonholes this time, which is unusual!


I think this shirt will be a great addition to my summer wardrobe. However, this black skirt is the only thing I have to match, so I might have to change that!

My sister was my photographer this time and I think she did a great job!

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment