Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Raven Dress // Sofiona Designs


I am so excited to be back blogging today and introduce you to the new company, Sofiona Designs! The company was just opened and it is run by two Canadian friends, Sherri Herrera and Trisha Yanke. They have four patterns so far, and I love all of them, but as soon as I saw the Raven Dress, I knew I had to try it first!

One reason I am super excited for this new company is because Sherri and I were on Project Run and Play together last year. The competition was the starting point of her starting this company and I am so happy for her. I can't wait to see where they go with this new adventure.


The Raven can be made as a dress or a shirt. It has a dropped shoulder and scoop back with a few different options for he back. I chose the raised scoop back for this version. The ruffle can be long or short or omitted. The dress has an elastic waist and comes with three different sleeve lengths. It was designed for woven fabrics, but knits can be used for the dress. 


I just love the back view and the ruffle! I wasn't sure about these two fabrics together, but I love the final result. If I had to do it again, I would find a different fabric for the ruffle because the one I used is a bit too heavy weight for gathering. I made it work though!

The apple fabric is a corduroy and both fabrics are from my stash. This is technically my muslin version. I typically don't make muslins, but I'm glad I did! I made a size five, since that is where my six year old sister's measurements put her in the size chart. I did lengthen the dress by four inches because she is tall. I did not think to lengthen the sleeves and as you can see they are much too short! I told her she has gorilla arms, and she just laughed! It's still cute and she will wear it, but next time I would lengthen the sleeve by a few inches. 





I just love this dress pattern and can't wait to make more for my sister! I'm planning on using a knit and making her Christmas dress with the Raven. 

I'm also excited about the other patterns in the shop and I can't wait to make the Artic Fox Housecoat.

If you are interested, you can join the Facebook group and follow Sofiona Designs on Instagram. They are running giveaways on both Facebook and Instagram. This post is not sponsored in any way and I bought the pattern myself. I'm just super excited about the company and wanted to share! All patterns are marked down 30% off through November 25th as well. 

Now for some outtakes! It is more difficult than one would imagine to take pictures of a six year old! Hope you enjoy these silly pictures! 


In this one, she was shaking her hands, saying "my hands are cold!"


I think this one is my favorite!


"Are we done yet?"


Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

 ~Elizabeth 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to read this. Good thing for muslins though!! You could easily shorten that sleeve for this dress too if she finds it annoying. Love the pictures no matter what!

    ReplyDelete