Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pinafore Dress

 
This week, I was inspired by Tricia from the Farmish Momma to make this Pinafore Dress after she posted pictures of one she made with some instructions here. I am friends with her oldest daughter, whom I have seen pictures of wearing dresses similar to this one. However, I never knew they were handmade! I loved the style after I first saw my friend's dress, so I was happy to find out I could make one myself!

 
The construction was so easy! I read the blog post and that same night I cut out the pieces to make the dress, which are basically two rectangles plus the straps. The instructions given in the post say to make the skirt by multiplying your hip measurement by 4. However, I thought that would make the skirt a little too gathered for me (and Tricia made the dress for a younger girl) so I multiplied my hip measurement by 3. I think next time, even doubling it would be enough.
 
In the back I decided not to cross the straps, but you can if you want to. I also used an invisible zipper, but any type of zipper would work just fine. I also didn't put the zipper up far enough when sewing it in, but it's not that big of a problem.
 
 
It's hard to tell in these pictures, but I used red thread for the topstitching. I made a wide 6 inch waistband and the skirt hits just past my knee. The fabric is some I've had in my stash for many years. It is wool and was given to me by a sewing friend when my interest in making clothing first began. There must've been 4 or 5 yards total because I have previously used this fabric to make both me and my mom a skirt. I had enough for this dress and there are still a few bits and pieces left.

 
I want to make more of these dresses in cotton. They would be perfect for the summer and I think my sister would like one too! The wool is perfect for the weather we're having now though. It is so warm to wear, but I was freezing when I took these pictures! It was only 3 degrees! Brrrrr!

 
The skirt is very full and so fun to twirl!
 
Linking up with Farmish Momma for the Pinterest Pin-along.

~Elizabeth

1 comment: