Saturday, June 11, 2011

New Skirt!


It has been a few days since my last post, but I've been busy sewing! Yesterday, I finished a skirt that I have been trying to make. It took me three tries, but I finally got it right! The skirt is from the pattern "Stella Strip Skirt," by Serendipity Studio. There aren't any pattern pieces because the skirt is made entirely from 2 1/2 inch strips. You can make it any length you would like. The skirt has pleats, and it was my first time working with pleats. That is one reason I messed up on the first try. I sewed the pleats backwards!! It was very upsetting at first, especially since I used my favorite fabric. I decided to try again. The pleats looked great, but it didn't fit! I made the wrong size!! Finally on my third try, everything went well. I sewed the pleats the right way, I made the right size and I only had to use the seam ripper for minor mistakes. I had one issue with the waistband though. The waistband has four rows of 3/8" elastic, and it was supposed to lay flat. Well, mine wasn't laying flat so I emailed the designer, Kay Whitt. She is a genius! She knew right away what the problem was - I didn't pull the first two rows of elastic tight enough. Sure enough, after I did that the problem was fixed.

Without further ado, here are pictures of my new skirt.

Me wearing my new skirt.
Close up of my new skirt.
I hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures! This skirt was very easy to make, once I made it the right size and understood the pleats. It took me two days to make. I will be wearing it for my high school graduation and entering in the fair for my 4-H clothing project!